Certain services at your business may utilize products during the appointment and you’ll need to track this in your inventory. Additionally, the number of units or amount of product that gets used affects the price you’ll charge the client for this service. This article will walk you through how to set up your Boulevard account so that this product tracking and service pricing process can be fully automated!
Usage-based pricing is useful for:
- Medspas that perform injectibles and price the service based on the number of units used
- Nail salons that sell acrylics as retail but also use them when performing a manicure
- Spas who use specific products during different massages or facials that would like to charge for them as well.
Things to Note
- With usage-based pricing, you can track product usage even if the product isn’t sold as retail.
- In emails and receipts, clients will not see how many units of product were used in their service. They will only see the total price they were charged for the service, including products that were used.
- If this service can be booked online, the price displayed in the booking widget will factor in the default number of products this service typically consumes. This setting can be customized, allowing your booking widget to display whatever price you would like clients to see. This amount is what booking deposits and cancellation fees for this service are based on.
- Services that use products when they are performed will calculate tax, gratuity, and commissions based on the total price of the service after product usage is factored in. Sales of these services will also display this total price in reporting. Products used during these services are not considered product sales in Boulevard’s sales or commission reports.
Setting up your Products and Services
1. In the Products section of your Manage Business settings, select This product can be used when performing a service. Setting the Product Price is important only if you intend on selling this product as retail as well. Setting the Default Unit Cost is important for reporting to know how much you generally pay when ordering each unit of this product.
2. In the Services section of your Manage Business settings, select any service and navigate to the Options tab. Under Product Usage, specify what product this service uses when performed. Set the Price Per Item to define how much each unit that is used will contribute to the overall service price. The Default Quantity field will set a default number of units that are typically used during this service. NOTE: This amount will affect this service’s display price in the Booking Widget.
Booking and Checkout
1. When booking this service, you are able to set an expected number of product units that will be used when this service is performed.
This number can be changed by editing the appointment.
2. In checkout, you can see the total service price that factors in the service’s product usage. This total service amount can also be affected by discounts, offers, and price adjustments.
Inventory Management and Reporting
When products are used during services, you are able to track this usage in the Products section of your Manage Location settings as well as in Reports.