Related article: Issuing Refunds
Product Return Process
To fully refund a returned product, you'll want to refund the full charge for the original product. IMPORTANT: Remember to include sales tax when entering in the dollar amount to refund.
- Locate the order to refund
- Calculate the total amount to refund, including sales tax
- In the Payments section, click Refund under the payment method to credit
- Check "Issue Partial Refund" (if applicable)
- Enter in the total amount to refund
- Add a reason for the refund
- Click Refund
- Now in the Checkout window, click the 3-dot icon to the right of the product then Remove Product
- With the "Amount Remaining" showing as $0, click Complete $0 Checkout
- The product refund is now complete, however if the product is to be added back into inventory, follow the steps below
Adjusting Inventory after a Product Return
After a product has been returned and refunded, it is not automatically re-added back into inventory, as often times the product needs to be marked as damaged and can't be resold. To re-add a product back into inventory post-return:
- Head to Manage > Products > click Adjust Quantities > select Return
- Search for the specific product(s)
- Under Adjustment Total, add the number of each product returned
- Under Update Stock, click the purple checkbox to finalize the adjustment
To exchange a product, first follow the steps above to refund the charge for the original product(s). After the refund, add the new product(s) and complete the charge for that new product along with the other services and gratuity. For the sake of accurate reporting and inventory, these steps should be done even if the new product price is the same.
It's also a good idea to write in the clients notes what product they brought in to return, why they are exchanging it, and what product they exchanged it for. Remember to adjust the inventory, as described above, if the product is to be re-added into stock, marked as damaged, etc.